Chaos Master

Default Sources of info to retrieve data off failing (failed) hard drives.

) spoke, er, wrote:

jakdedert wrote in message
.. .

Many have advocated freezing the drive in a sealed plastic bag overnight,
then *immediately* powering up and copying.

Tried that. No luck.

From a Brazilian hardware/electronics site:

If the problem is on the heads/motors, try opening the HD on a clean room (as
clean as possible), and "move" the heads to the right place, run IDE auto-detect
from BIOS, and cross fingers. This will not last too much, but it will be enough
to copy some data. (disclaimer: I've never tried that. If the HD quits working,
it was "doomed" already)

If the problem is on the logic part, try getting the circuit board from an
IDENTICAL hard drive. (Sometimes this works; I've seen this done)

--
Chaos Master® - From Porto Alegre - Brazil.
Please ask for e-mail address, or even better, REPLY TO THE GROUP.