Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] geraldrmiller@yahoo.ca is offline

Default bbq tank adaptors

On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 20:31:28 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 20:08:05 -0400,
wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 19:41:55 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 3/15/2016 2:39 PM, unk wrote:
There's a cheap gizmo that purports to let you fill a small propane tank
from your bigger bbq tank.

Are these legit?

I made one years ago by soldering spare connectors together. Depending
upon how much propane you use in a torch, the $18 cost might take a
while to recover.

As Dan said, refilled tanks tend to leak & need to have torches
permanently attached.

The small tanks are labeled "Not for refill" - if that matters to you.

The propane only flows from the large tank to the small one if the
pressure in the large one is greater than it is in the small one. (And
the large tank must be upside down.) Since the propane is liquid in the
tanks, this means that the temperature of the large one must be higher
than the small one.

I'm not sure if OPD tanks will work upside down - anybody know for sure?

Bob

I generaly rely on one of the almost empty BBQ tanks I buy for $0.50
and a 4 foot adapter hose that usually costs me a buck whenever I need
to use one or more "turbo" torches. Last fall I lucked out and bought
a full five pound bottle for a dollar - when it is empty it will
become my regulated surge tank for an air brush or whatever I need at
the moment.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

Where are you finding the "pucks" (or "curling rocks" for a
buck???? Hardly ever see any of them any more.

This one came from an elderly couple's yard sale selling off thier
camping stuff.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada