James Sweet

Default Sources of info to retrieve data off failing (failed) hard drives.

"JW" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:30:26 -0500 "Stellijer"
wrote in Message id:
:

Alan Peterman wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 13:47:02 -0500, "Stellijer"

wrote:

Anyone know of any great web sites or discussions boards for reviving

hard
drives which have failed fir data retreival?

Let me mention just ONE of the cases here, just in case in addition to
information, someone here has some adivce:

The first drive is a 40GB Western Digital, 2-1/2 years old. It's been

used a
lot in the past couple years. Last weekend it quit spinning up.

I had another brand of drive freeze up on a client last year. It

turned out
that these drives were notorious for "stiction" problems where the

platters
would not be able to be spun up by the motor. Opening the platter

enclosure
and
manually spinning the platters freed it up so I could run it and

retrieve the
data. While a "clean room" is desire able, if you've got a reasonably

dust
free
environment it's worth a try.

Did your drive "jerk" a little? It seems like the platters CAN spin, at

least a
little bit. They're certainly not stuck SOLID.

Have you tried spinning it in your hand back and forth on the plane of

disk
rotation right after applying power? This method used to work for me, if

it
was a "stiction" problem.

I haven't seen a drive suffer from stiction in probably 10 years, things
have changed since then, platters and heads are much different now.