Stellijer

Default Sources of info to retrieve data off failing (failed) hard drives.

JW wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 07:34:46 -0500 "Stellijer"
wrote in Message id:
:

I peeled back the little seal on the drive in a pretty safe environment (plus

didn't open the whole thing).

It appears the platters spin reasonably freely. The problem is that the

motor
"jerks" the platters only a small amount at a time.

I'm very concerned that maybe the motor has burned out, in which case I'm not
sure WHAT to do.

Much more likely would be the motor controller on the PCB.

That would probably be the best news since I could probably fix it by swapping
out the PCB; an easy fix.

Could that cause the motor to make a "skreee" sound ever 30-60 seconds or so,
too? It's surely not a head sound since the drive wasn't spinning yet. It's
like the motor's gone crazy.