Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT(ish) - lies, damned lies and ballet dancers (Grauniad)

On 17/03/16 09:31, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , News
writes
In message , Clive
George writes
On 16/03/2016 09:07, Tim Lamb wrote:

Why is it housewives have this yearning for huge Butlers sinks? How
often do they really struggle to clean roasting pans?

I think they do look pretty. But the one in this house was removed
fairly quickly.

I'm sitting here smiling to myself. This is very much a male
dominated group, yet we must be modern men. The subject of kitchens
or any part of kitchens seem to attract more views that almost any
other :-)

I think you have misinterpreted the direction of interest.

Big sink uses more hot water, wife does not pay the bills.

Sealant issues are a source of criticism directed at the d-i-y dept.

With an SS sink with built in drainer, this is a non-issue.

Broken crockery is perhaps a joint concern but the clatter of utensil
against ceramic may cause crossword interruption and domestic disharmony.

Or the breakage caused by clatter of china against ceramic sink, much
less likely with an SS sink and drainer.

The other aspect is this ****ty faux-marble or granite top, where you
can never really tell if it's clean or not, and which is entirely
unforgiving in the clatter situation.

Our replacement kitchen, pencilled in but not yet scheduled, will do
away with all these impracticalities.

I was looking at stone as I hate chipboard tops.

However, we ended up with pitch pine, which is rare (our kitchen maker
imports it by the container load, as the paperwork and shipping is a
hassle, smaller quantities would not be practical).

It's damn good stuff - even when the oil layer wears down, it doesn't
care about water. And reoiling is pretty simple - clean, dry and wipe,
perhaps once a year, maybe twice in the sink area. Easy to clean and
very forgiving to glasses.