Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default OT What is this? #

On 3/16/2016 8:49 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

BTW, 1/60 of a second is called a third.

WTF? Why?!?

Subdivision of the hour.

First is the minute (MI-NOOT).
Second is the second.
Third is the third.

Also, 1/18.2 of a second is a "tick" (not the parasitic animal kind).

A "jiffy" tends to be about 10ms; a shake, 10ns.

An OhNoSecond is slightly shorter -- or longer, depending on your
personal reaction time!

If you do much fixed point math, you'd know that a Furman is 1/65536-th of
a revolution.

Beauty is measured in Helens while magic is measured in Thaums.

And, of course, everyone knows that a Smoot is 67".

IIRC, there was also 'solidus'

As in erection?

I don't know about that, but I remember a "South Park" where a man was yelling
about not having an erection. His kid hears this and goes to church where he
hears about a res-erection. He thinks he can get one and give it to his dad.

and 'virgule', names for a slash /.

No, a virgule is a comma. Like this: ,

A comma is the deep sleep you fall into when you get hit on the head :-)