Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT What is this? #

On 03/16/2016 05:05 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

[snip]

BTW, 1/60 of a second is called a third.

WTF? Why?!?

Subdivision of the hour.

First is the minute (MI-NOOT).
Second is the second.
Third is the third.

Also, 1/18.2 of a second is a "tick" (not the parasitic animal kind).

IIRC, there was also 'solidus'

As in erection?

I don't know about that, but I remember a "South Park" where a man was
yelling about not having an erection. His kid hears this and goes to
church where he hears about a res-erection. He thinks he can get one and
give it to his dad.

and 'virgule', names for a slash /.

No, a virgule is a comma. Like this: ,

A comma is the deep sleep you fall into when you get hit on the head :-)

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The human mind treats a new idea the way the body treats a strange
protein. It rejects it." [P.B. Medawar]