Posted to sci.electronics.repair
legg legg is offline

Default Engine Management Units

On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 23:21:41 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 19:59:53 -0500, legg wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 20:01:54 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 14:25:41 -0500, legg wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 14:04:46 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 09:58:03 -0500, legg wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 11:05:24 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
wrote:

But this is really about trying to rescue the old one. They don't
come cheap!

The issue is with the new part, not the old one.

Wrong! The question *solely* concerns the *old* unit that failed.

The issue is your dissatisfaction with the repaired automobile.

You're not in a position to resurrect the old ECU.

The new ECU in all probability just requires a software tweak. My
question was about the OLD one (at the risk of repeating myself).

There's not much you can tell from a photograph of limited resolution.
Looking at what you've offered, you might re-examine locally:

http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/EMU_captive_detritus.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/EMU_green_reflection.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/EMU_red_reflection.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/EMU_so...ontaminant.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/EMU_so...taminant_2.jpg

I don't know how the hell you were able to spot those markings from the
poor detail in the photo. The last two details you posted show the
extremely fine enamel copper wire-looking debris which crops up in other
places on the board and across vias and traces. If this debris conducts,
it could easily be the cause of the problem. I have to hoist my
stereoscope out of storage and take a better look tomorrow. Well spotted
indeed. Remarkable!

As for the other bits you found, I'll investigate them at the same time
when my stereoscope is set up.

Looked to me more like dye concentrating as the curing epoxy puckered.

Did you ever reset this thing, while it was still in the vehicle?

RL