Posted to alt.home.repair
Mr Macaw Mr Macaw is offline

Default OT What is this? #

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 04:12:48 -0000, Don Y wrote:

On 3/13/2016 8:25 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 03/13/2016 07:06 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 03/13/2016 03:45 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

That's the official name, but I've never heard anyone actually use it in
everyday language.

0x23 ascii. Programmers get a little strange in their everyday language.

I always preferred $23 (On the Commodore-64 hex was indicated by a leading '$').

Limbo uses the XrR notation (i.e., 23r16) as it allows any radix to be
indicated in a consistent syntax.

As to language, I was once looking at the source code for a program. One of the
error messages was "not enough memory to execute child". It made perfect sense
to me, just not anything like what it would mean to a "normal" person..

"Keyboard not found. Press F1 to continue."

"Bad magic"

"You can tune a filesystem, but you cant tuna fish"

The Amiga would often spit up diagnostic data prefaced with "Guru Meditation"

I remember that. Do you know why they used those words?

--
What's the fastest thing in Wales?
A virgin sheep.