Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Cursitor Doom[_4_] Cursitor Doom[_4_] is offline

Default Engine Management Units

On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 11:45:04 -0700, DaveC wrote:

€śchecked out fine...€ť means you tested what? Capacitance? ESR?
In-circuit? Removed?

Visually?

No signs of bulging or seepage.

I was just taking a closer look at the board a moment ago under a glass
and spotted something that requires further investigation. Going to have
to get my stereoscope out of storage for this one. Tiny clusters of what
look like *very* fine gauge enamel copper wire clearly bridging across
vias in various points around the board and obviously not *supposed* to
be there. If they turn out to be conductive, I could be in business!
Don't want to get my hopes up on this one, though. Probably just a false
alarm but *definitely* requiring closer examination with something more
powerful than a glass....

Turns out to get the caps out of circuit requires a 6mm ring spanner
which I shall have to procure from a local emporium tomorrow when they re-
open. Fortunately I already have a 13mm one for the other ends.