Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ecnerwal[_3_] Ecnerwal[_3_] is offline

Default Turning Tool advice

In article , graham
wrote:

Note the venting and the very small control buttons.

Most (virtually all) VFDs will take a remote rotary control
(potentiometer, or just possibly rotary encoder for some models) for the
speed control. Program in the range it is to control, and spin the dial.

Focus first on wiring in remote emergency stop switches wherever you
might want one when things go wrong, (both ends of the lathe, at least)
and then put on a rotary remote for the speed.

If you are overly fussed about the vents, use a hose/duct and a fan to
provide clean air from outside. I prefer to have an independent fan/duct
blowing on any motor I'm running at low speed anyway, since the motor's
own fan does not do much if it's running slowly.