Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default Vertical Grab Bar: Only Two Screws?

On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 7:50:40 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 03/15/2016 3:25 PM, TimR wrote:
On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 3:48:19 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

They're designed for a very specific purpose, lateral load not being
included.

--

Agree but I think any fastener, certainly not a screw or nail,
should never be loaded in shear. They should always be in tension.

And, the bulk of the load in OP's application is, _but_ --- if load the
bar by any vertical pull that fraction of the total load is in shear and
when pulling anywhere on the bar besides directly over the fastener
there is a least some bending moment. Can't avoid either, entirely.

--

If the tension force times the coefficient of friction is sufficient to be greater than the vertical force, theoretically there is no shear load.

The bending moment - I dunno, might have to give you that, but..........if the screw tension is enough to prevent movement I think it would be small.