Default Residential wiring: round box & outlet?

DaveC wrote:

Round box (4", I think) flush with wall board, used to have lamp fixture
attached. Want to install overhead on ceiling one of those "pull it down/push
it back up) adjustable lamps. Lamp cord will run along ceiling and down the
wall in plastic Wiremold lamp cord raceway and plug into round box which will
contain a single outlet.

I'm having problems finding a way to install a single outlet (duplex outlet
is less desireable, but would be acceptable) in the round box, and top it off
with a nice plastic finish plate.

This does not mean it does not exist - but I've never
seen a plastic cover plate that does what you want.

There are metal cover plates that would work. They are
round, and allow you to mount a receptacle to the plate,
then mount the plate to the box.

I've got everything but the outlet, cover plate, and a means to mount it in
the round box. Is any of this possible w/o ripping out the round box and
replacing it w/a standard 4-square? (The box is flush with the wall board; no
such luck installing a mud ring...)

You could possibly install an old work box below the
round box at the same height as other receptacles in
the room, pull romex from the new box location to the
existing round box and install your new box with a
receptacle there. Add a wall sconce at the existing
round box - it'll look better than a receptacle there.

It might be easier and/or better to just install a new
circuit (or extend an existing circuit) to a new box in
the ceiling. You'll have to decide if that is feasible.

Thanks,
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address