Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Internal door - jammed shut - handle not operating latch

On 16/03/2016 08:26, wrote:
On Tuesday, 15 March 2016 10:02:23 UTC, wrote:
My internal door to garage and where all the tools are at has broken and the garage door has a slide bolt from inside it so I can't go from the other side. However, I saw the post about kitchen knives and being that over the years of being a broke single mum, kitchen knives have come to the rescue for various things, hah, it appealed to me. And yep, it worked! Well it got it unlocked. Now I can't force it open because the paint has dried (garage side) and it's stuck. I've 'knived' it (new word) but still can't get the force to pull it open. Remember the lock and handle is in pieces so I can't get the grip on it to pull it open. Anyway, I think tomorrow I will work it out, get a little person to go in between the door and slide bolt gap and try and push from other side. Some things are best left to sleep on and it's a garage so nothing in there of urgency (not even a car at the moment). Anyway, thanks for the good ol' kitchen knife advice!

a thin enough blade can often be run round to break the paint that's gluing it. Something more like a wallpaper knife.

NT

A paint scraper tapped from above with a hammer usually does it. May
have to put a screw in the door (or a cup hook or similar) to give you
something to get hold of