Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Turning Tool advice

Bill Leonhardt wrote in
:

Just curious, do you use a sanding belt or disc? What grit?

Bill

I've got some Menards cheapies that work fine. They don't hold an
edge for very long, but sharpening is just part of woodturning. One
way to figure out how good the steel is for woodturning is to sharpen
a tool and use it. I use a grinder to form the majority of the edge
and a sander to do the rest. Once I get the edge I want, it takes
more time to walk to the sander than it does to renew the edge.

Grab the one that's got the profile you want, give it a pass on the
sander, and have fun!

Puckdropper

I have a 1x30 belt sander. Looks like it's 3000 grit that's my common
size. I actually use a bit of green compound to keep the belt working,
it really dulled out a while ago. But, ordering just a new belt with
shipping doesn't make sense.

I've got other grits for edge forming and all that, but the 3000 grit
with green compound is my go-to bit.

Puckdropper