Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
JethroBodine JethroBodine is offline

Default wood worm

swalker wrote in news:18gk6b153gi6851rmgmibbjr48gegj6v3r@
4ax.com:

Wife bought a cabinet made somewhere far away and brought home in
July. The other day a small of pile of dust appeared on the top.
Cleaned it off without thinking much about it. The next day there was
more and on close inspection saw a small hole.
So how do we get rid of the worms?

They are called "Powder Post Beetles". Had the same problem in some custom
cabinets I had made, researched the little boogers at my local A&M
university entomology department. The lumber used to build your cabinet,
like the lumber used to build my cabinets, was NOT kiln dried. The kiln
drying process kills the larve in the wood, according to the entomologist I
talked to. The solution by the ento. was to strip the finish off the
cabinets, and apply a liquid pestacide to the wood; or put the cabinets
into 'something' where the temp. can be raised to 180 degs. for 24 hrs.

Needless to say, both solutions were unrealistic for me. My problem
occured a couple months after the cabinets were installed, after about a
month of finding about a dozen different piles of wood powder, the problem
ceased. That was 15 years ago.

Oh, one other thing, the Ento. at the university told me that the larve of
the PPB can stay dormant in the wood for up to 20 years before emerging.

JB