Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default OT What is this? #

On 3/15/2016 2:47 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 03/14/2016 10:44 PM, Don Y wrote:

[snip]

I.e., when a person says "I have an appointment in 35 minutes",
does that really mean they will wait for the minute hand to make
35 complete revolutions before the appointment begins? Or,
have they done some mental arithmetic and decided to express
the ABSOLUTE time of the appointment in relative terms (for
the benefit of whomever they are conversing with)?

That stuff reminded my of my grandmother cooking biscuits. She wanted to leave
them in the oven for 10 minutes, and seemed to have a problem with keeping
track of that. Keep looking at the clock ans saying "how long has it been...".

I suggested that (when putting the biscuits in) look at the clock NOW and
figure out what time it will be 10 minutes from now. Then it's easy to check
for that.

Some people will not allow things to be easy.

Growing up, we had pasta at least once a week. (short) mother kept
it on the top shelf -- and always had to ask me to get it down for her.

"Sheesh! Why don't you just LEAVE IT ON THE COUNTER, we eat it often
enough?!!"