Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT What is this? #

On 03/14/2016 10:33 PM, Don Y wrote:

[snip]
When working on my speech synthesizer, it was frustrating to see just how
many exceptions there are to the "rules" we think we know -- but
actually have internalized and consciously forgotten!

E.g., think of the /w/ sound in:
women
what
which
one
quick

Yes there is a 'w' in quick. Right after the initial 'k'.

I found that "of" is one of the most commonly encountered exceptions
(there's no /f/ sound in the word!)

BTW, when I use NOT in mnemonic devices, it's usually the r's-1 (radix-1)
complement, so NOT 365 is 634 (note that each digit adds up to 9).

It's called the "nine's complement". The ten's complement is obtained
by adding one to the nine's complement. In much the same way that the
one's complement ant two's complements are related.

In this particular case, it IS nines'. R (for radix) makes is less
inappropriately specific, since the same idea applies to all radixes
(bases). I suppose you don't know that r's-1 complement is involved in
how computers subtract numbers. I didn't know it yet, but I learned r's
compliment in second grade.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"When science and the Bible differ, science has obviously misinterpreted
its data." [Henry Morris, Head of Institute for Creation Research]