Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
graham[_5_] graham[_5_] is offline

Default Turning Tool advice

On 15/03/2016 9:03 AM, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Bill Leonhardt wrote:

For years I thought about how to build a stand and mount a motor on a hinged
plate so speed changes would be easy.

Depending where you are at fiscally and the like, I cannot overstate the
advantages of an actual variable speed motor. The hinged motor mount is
still handy for an easy change of speed-range/torque available, but it's
mind-blowing how handy it is to be able to twist a knob and change
speeds.

The "better modern approach" (no pesky DC brushes to wear out) is a
3-phase motor and a 1-phase to 3-phase VFD (unless you have 3-phase in
your shop) to control it.

I've been looking into getting such a system. The trouble is that the
VFDs are vented and not suitable for dusty situations. Furthermore, the
speed controls are tiny buttons. Such a set up would cost ~Can$750 plus
the cost of running a 220v line to the lathe.
Graham