Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Cursitor Doom[_4_] Cursitor Doom[_4_] is offline

Default Engine Management Units

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 06:21:27 -0700, wrote:

On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 7:08:34 AM UTC-4, Cursitor Doom wrote:

I wish. It's been replaced for over 9 months now and it's still the
same as the day it was fitted.
But this is really about trying to rescue the old one. They don't come
cheap!

Try this:

Re-install the new unit. Power up the electrical system, but DO NOT
start the engine.

Here is the tricky part and be exceedingly careful: While powered up,
disconnect the battery, NEGATIVE FIRST. Make sure when that clamp comes
off the battery it does so cleanly and quickly. SHORT the positive clamp
to the negative clamp immediately and hold for a minimum of 30 seconds.
This is the functional equivalent of rebooting the ECU. Shut off the
electrical system. Reinstall the battery. Attempt to start. Does this
help?

We're getting completely off topic in being distracted by the new EMU,
but I'll just answer this point. Every time I leave that vehicle for a
few days, I'll isolate the battery, anyway. So it has been repeatedly
"rebooted" dozens of times since the old one was replaced.

BUT my question is NOT about the new one; it's about how easily the old
ONE can be fixed without schematics (M. Philbrook, many thanks I'll try
your suggestion re xtal).