Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Leonhardt[_2_] Bill Leonhardt[_2_] is offline

Default Turning Tool advice

I bought the lathe maybe 15 years ago and it sat for a long time. When I went to use it, the bearings seemed to not be good even though I ran it a lot to loosen up whatever grease it had. I also managed to bend the pulley some, although I don't think that was too serious. Anyway, I was able to purchase a pulley and new bearings on Ebay so I just need the time to do the work. I like the fact that this is an old tool and I am hopeful I can learn to "turn" out some quality work.

For years I thought about how to build a stand and mount a motor on a hinged plate so speed changes would be easy. I then came upon some one selling an old lathe. I wasn't interested in that lathe since the ways were just bent sheet metal, but it came with a set of cast iron legs. So stylish and heavy. I bought the package (which also included one of my tool sets) and will use these legs. They are pretty rusty, so they get new paint.

So now I'm back to figuring out the motor mount and one other thing. I know how desirable it is to have a heavy stand but, at the same time, I would like to make this lathe mobile (well, at least semi-mobile). Been studying retractable wheels.

Anyway, that's where I am.

I have one additional question: Does anyone use a link-belt with their lathe? Is it noisy?

Thanks,

Bill

On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 1:08:12 PM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:
On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 09:22:01 -0700 (PDT)
Bill Leonhardt wrote:

I am rebuilding a Rockwell 46-111 now and hope to get it on-line soon
so I can really give these tools a tryout.

i am curious to know what it means to rebuild a lathe

do you have to put new bearings
new motor
new paint
new wiring