Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_5_] bert[_5_] is offline

Default BREXIT on Any Questions

In article ,
harry writes
On Sunday, 13 March 2016 08:09:13 UTC, Richard wrote:
"News" wrote in message ...

In message ,
writes

Every time I hear an Outer talking is persudes me to vote In
every time I head an Inner talking they persuade me to vote Out.

+1

I'm still undecided. Initially, I would have voted to stay in, without
much thought, then, after some listening and reading, I veered towards
out. Now, I just don't know, although stay seems favourite.

What is the EU really all about? Go back 60+ years and an integrated
Europe was about prevention of another European war. That was first and
foremost, at least from the British view.

No it wasn't. Maybe it was for the French who didn't want us in
especially De Gaulle.
Unity in the eh shape of NATO was to prevent the USSR from overrunning
western Europe, a very real threat in the immediate post war era.
Anything else was almost a
bonus.

Look at the possibility of a UK exit from the European side. Is it
really about Britain leaving, or about Britain setting a precedent?

It's about the UK ;leaving. What other countries do is up to them. If
they what to be part of the German Empire that's their problem
Were
we to leave, would any other countries follow? Not the recent members,
but any of the longer term 'traditional' European countries who also
feel hard done by?

Such as? Most countries are net beneficiaries so they won't leave and
they don't have the Uk's alternative links.
The possibility of the EU becoming Germany and all
the hangers on?

Well after all it was the deal Hitler offered us. He would have Europe
and we could keep our overseas empire.
Just suppose Brexit did result in other exits over time and, eventually,
to the downfall of Europe as we have known it since WWII.

Why do we always think we have responsibility for every one else in the
world. They can make up their own minds. But NATO will still be there
and as long as NATO around there will be no European war.
Just suppose
it did lead to another European war. Could I ever forgive myself if I
had voted out, even if I were six feet under by then?

Europe has already fallen. The war is happening right now.

That's probably true.

--
bert