Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default Interconnected Smoke Alarms -- Options/Wiring -- Wireless?

In ,
trader_4 typed:
On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 11:49:24 AM UTC-4, TomR wrote:
In ,
Don Y typed:
On 3/13/2016 4:19 PM, TomR wrote:

I already know that the way that 110 volt interconnected smoke
detectors are wired is with 14/3 (or it could be 12/3 as an
alternative), and the third (red) wire is the "signal" wire that
allows them all to go off when one goes off. That is the code
compliant way of wiring them.

+1

What I don't know for sure are my original questions about the wiring
diagram, the wireless possible alternative, etc.

Here's one diagram that shows the interconnect wire shared in common,
not daisy chained, which is how I would expect it to be, because:

http://www.buildmyowncabin.com/elect...tallation.html

1 - There is no reason for it to be daisy chained into one alarm and
then out to the next

2 - It makes for a more reliable system.

3 - It's easier to install.

Thanks. That helps a lot.

That's an excellent website. I think that I may have seen that website in
the past when I was trying to learn about 3-way wiring diagrams, but I had
lost track of where that website was. For example, it has 3-way wiring
diagrams (
http://www.buildmyowncabin.com/elect...-switches.html ) that I
think I remember seeing in the past. That showed various ways of wiring
3-way switches depending on where the power enters the system, whether the
lights are before or after or in between the 3-way switches, etc.

I had not found the fire alarm installation diagram before. I am pretty
sure that the way that the diagram is drawn, it means that it is okay to
have the individual detectors come off of the 14/3 wiring in any manner as
long as all of the black hot wires are connected to black, all the white
neutrals to white neutrals, and all of the red wires tied to red wires for
the interconnection signal.

I am not sure what the "Lifessaver Relay Module Model 120X -- Optional
Accessory" is or means in the diagram so I will trying looking that up to
see what it is.

Wireless, IDK anything about, other than obviously there are easier to
install because you don't have to interconnect them. The big downside
of course is that they are wireless and we all know that wireless is
less
than perfect. And that what works today may not work two years from
now,
then some other wireless device comes into the home, a neighbor's
home, etc.
It definitely would not be my first choice, but it's better than no
interconnect that's for sure. Might want to check local code on
what's allowed, etc.

I too do not know anything about the Wireless interconnected alarm systems,
but I have some of the same reservations about them that you mentioned.
But, one thing that I am wondering from what I have seen online so far is if
wireless detectors can be used to extend an existing 100 volt interconnected
system to another part of the structure without having to run the hardwiring
to the other area. I would guess that a hardwired "wireless" detector could
be included in the original 110 volt hardwired system and then another
battery operated wireless detector could be put in the additional
hard-to-reach location in the structure. So, maybe there could be a
combination of a hardwired interconnected alarm system with one or two
remotely placed wireless battery-operated detectors.

So much to learn, so little time.