Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Copper wire instead of fuses?

Gareth Magennis wrote:
Here's something I've not seen before.

A Power Amplifier has binding posts which you are supposed to solder wire
between, instead of fuses.
This is on the low voltage power supply. The wire fuses go to the bridge
rectifier/10,000uF caps, and supply the +/- 15v supplies.

The PCB is inscribed "wire Cu 0.25mm" and also designated F2 and F3.

And yes, there is (or was) thin copper wire soldered in place on both
identical channels of this amp.
(One side has melted both these wire fuses, as the caps are bad)

Why would a manufacturer do this? I'd be inclined to put back wire ended
fuses.

Fusible links handle surge currents better than fuses.

My question is why is on the output of the transformer. Is the input
fused at all?

I'm guessing 0.25mm means 0.25mm Cross Sectional Area rather than diameter,
but it is not clear.
The following table gives 6A and 15A for each possibility, which seems quite
high for a low voltage supply.
http://www.gxk.org.uk/info/wire.htm

I took out a small remaining piece of the wire and it actually measured just
below 0.5mm diameter, but this is not a reliable measurement as the wire has
obviously suffered trauma.

This is the amplifier in question:
http://www.kv2audio.com/products/esr...s/esr2800.html

Cheers,