Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default OT What is this? #

On 3/14/2016 7:22 AM, Robert Green wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interrobang

"Don Y" wrote in message
On 3/13/2016 3:11 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 21:32:58 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 03/13/2016 12:22 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
What do Americans call this sign? #

Octothorpe.

And this one? ?

interobang.

grin In school, my thesis advisor (an oriental -- non-native-English
speaker) went through my thesis painstakingly correcting every (erroneous)
"doubled consonant" that I had used.

Then, lectured me on the rules regarding same.

(did I mention *I* was the "native English speaker"??)

I simply shrugged and said, "When in doubt, I figure one MORE is better
than one LESS...".

As a result of that chastisement, I am now equally likely to double
when I shouldn't -- or fail to double when I *should*!

[Amusingly, some words I consistently get right -- e.g., dessert and desert]