Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT What is this? #

On 03/13/2016 04:44 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

[snip]

How big is an "egg"? Do you have metric dozens of eggs?
Do you have 100 minutes in your hours? 100 days in your years?

It would be easier.

"That must make school HELL!" -- having to remember TWO different
schemes of measurement, one that deals with radix 10 and others
that deal with 12's, 24's, 60's, 365's, etc.

At least we made some of it easier.

The basic unit of time is the second. For smaller amounts of time they
use metric prefixes.

I sometimes think of what it would like to use metric prefixes for
larger units, like kiloseconds.

After 86.4 kiloseconds you run into the day, a natural period of time
that doesn't fit into this metric stuff. Reality gets in the way.

How about forgetting about seconds, and use days. Then you have the
milliday, (which is still longer than a minute). A microday would be the
period of time we used to call 86.6ms (milliseconds).

BTW, in our system the average year is 365.2425 days long. Unexpectedly,
that IS a whole number of seconds. There are 31,556,736 seconds in the
average year. That's about 31.5 megaseconds per year.

1 gigasecond is approx. 31.69 years.
1 terasecond is approx. 31.69 millennia.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Most people are bothered by those passages of Scripture they do not
understand, but the passages that bother me are those I do understand."
-- Mark Twain