Posted to alt.home.repair
Gordon Shumway Gordon Shumway is offline

Default OT What is this? #

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 19:48:27 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 19:34:12 -0000, Muggles wrote:

On 3/13/2016 1:55 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 18:51:22 -0000, Frank "frank wrote:

On 3/13/2016 2:35 PM, bob_villain wrote:
On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 1:31:30 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On 3/13/2016 2:29 PM, bob_villain wrote:
On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 1:22:44 PM UTC-5, Mr Macaw wrote:

What do Americans call this sign? #

number or pound sign depending on use...

also hash tag for the Twitterverse

Sorry...thought he wanted to know about the real world.

We might live in the real world but may be a minority today.

I just tried searching by # on facebook, and I guess it could be
useful. But I don't see why there has to be a hash. Google can search
the internet without search terms having to have a # on them. This
seems a backwards step. I certainly can't be bothered selecting words
that I feel are important every time I post to Facebook.

As for Twitter, that reminds me of using DOS. Where is the interface?
It's just unconnected sentences from people with no threading or anything.

You did ask "What do *Americans* call this sign? #"

As far as I know,just like bob_villain said, we mostly call it either a
pound sign or number sign in general use. Although, twitter uses the
sign for their own purposes, I suppose that's become common place, too.

Pound sign is just wrong. It would be like me calling it a dollar sign. A dollar is clearly $ as it's used for currency.

You are one arrogant asshole. You asked what we Americans called it and when we answered you told us we are wrong. You sound
a lot like our hubris asshole-in-chief in D.C.