Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Interconnected Smoke Alarms -- Options/Wiring -- Wireless?

On 03/13/2016 02:45 PM, TomR wrote:
I own a tenant-occupied, 2-story, 5 Bedroom, Colonial Style single family
detached home with an attached 2-car garage and an unfinished basement. The
home currently has individual battery powered smoke detectors and CO
detectors, but none of the detectors are interconnected. That meets the
current code for an existing single family home like this. So, under the
current code, I don't need to do anything.

snip

Here is my question.

Alarms are generally quite loud. If one goes off, a tenant should be
able to hear it anywhere within the house.

Maybe you could test and verify because interconnected alarms may not be
necessary.

A localized alarm has the advantage of letting the occupant know exactly
where the problem is.

BTW: Hopefully you do have fire extinguishers on all floors.