Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Macaw Mr Macaw is offline

Default Do NOT pressure wash your roof!

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 18:23:23 -0000, pamela wrote:

On 17:18 13 Mar 2016, Mr Macaw wrote:

My neighbour had his roof jetwashed, now he has to replace the
whole thing for £3000.

http://roofcoatingscam.com/is-it-saf...e-wash-a-roof/

"The most common roof tiles in the United Kingdom are
made from concrete and have a sandy/granular finish on
the exposed side of the tile. This part of the tile is
designed to gradually wear off until the tile needs to
be replaced, usually after 80-100 years of normal
weathering."

No wonder the gutters get clogged up with lots of silt.

No, mainly it's moss lumps, and soil generated by the rotting moss.

And I've never had my gutters clogged, it all just washes down the drain..

Why is a concrete roof tile designed to wear away?

Presumably it's impossible to design it not to. Lasting 100 years seems pretty good to me.

--
Never play leapfrog with a unicorn!