Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sam Crean Sam Crean is offline

Default BREXIT on Any Questions

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 12/03/16 21:11, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Jonno
writes
Roger Mills scribbled

On 12/03/2016 16:12, wrote:

Great - leave the EU and be allowed to eat poisonous cauliflowers.

Why will it make any difference? Seems like they're *already* sending
us
poisonous cauliflowers because they're harvesting too soon after
spraying. I don't know what checks (if any) we make on what comes in -
but we may well tighten up on that after we've left.

WTF would a farmer spray expensive chemicals onto a crop he's going to
lift in 48 hours?

Marketability? Maybe he intended to spray earlier but was held up by
weather or mechanical breakdown. Maybe a contractor got the wrong field.

It is standard practice actually to spray herbicicide on the cereal crops
in order to kill the lot off, so its all nice and dried out by the time
you combine it.

I'm not up to date on this but applied farm chemicals are a significant
part of the growing cost and not used without careful consideration.

I suppose you might use pre-harvest glyphosate on a cereal crop with a
high weed burden or where a clean seedbed is required for a following crop
of OSR

It is in fact used to handle the shorter growing season in places like
Canada.
http://www.nurselovesfarmer.com/2014...ate-and-wheat/