Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
graham[_5_] graham[_5_] is offline

Default Turning Tool advice

On 12/03/2016 4:17 PM, Bill Leonhardt wrote:
Hello Group,

My apologies. I used to follow this group, but I thought it folded. On a whim, I look today and I'm glad to see it's still alive. Perhaps you can help me with a turning tool question. I will also post to rec.woodworking.

I have three sets of full size (not for pen turning) turning tools. I don't know their history as I got each set from descendants of the original owners. I am trying to identify whether they have good steel and are worth keeping for my future turning aspirations. In the future, I expect to turn some furniture parts, a few bowls, but turning will not be the main part of my woodworking efforts.

I think the sets are pre-1980s and probably pre-1970s or even 1960s. They are described as follows:

Set1 (9 tools) - These have a label on the handle that says "Craftsman" (ala Sears) and that label could be a decal. It is well attached. The handles are wood and stained red. The steel is dull and looks, to the uneducated eye, as the same as I see on old, quality chisels. No markings on the steel.

Set2 (8tools) - These have a blue paper label on natural wood handles that says "Marples Made in Sheffield England". The steel is bright and some are marked (surface printed) with both imperial and metric sizes.

Set3 (8 tools) - These have the brand stamped into both the steel and handle, which is natural wood. The lettering says "Disston USA" with a keystone logo. The letters and logo in the handle are colored red. The steel is bright.

These all have some light surface rust, which should clean up fine, however the rust on the Craftsman tools gives me more a feeling of quality steel (gut feeling, not sure why).

Are there ways that I can evaluate these sets to determine if they have good steel and are worth keeping and using? Any insight you can provide is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill Leonhardt

Is it possible for you to photo them and post a link to Tinypic or a
similar service?
I think the Marples set is almost certainly carbon steel. In fact, I
have a set of Marples that came with my first lathe. They made lots like
that but I don't think that they got into the high speed steel market
that is dominated by Sorby and Henry Taylor. I expect the Sears and
Disston tools are the same.
Graham