Posted to sci.electronics.repair
MJC MJC is offline

Default Why are capstan wheels different size?

In article ,
says...

MJC wrote:

And I have long thought that with the small diameter of the capstan it
must be the availability of excellent, and cheap, bearings for the shaft
that made it possible to keep the wow and flutter down to acceptable
levels...

** The vast majority use plain bearings and rely on a flywheel to
do the rest.

Sure, but my point was that any chatter in the bearings is just as bad
as rotational variation and is not damped by the flywheel. So the plain
bearings have to be accurate and long-lasting.

** You have completely forgotten the damping effect of side-ways pressure from the pinch roller.

.... Phil

I certainly was not taking it into account. Probably because it is
movement along the length of the tape and not sideways that gives rise
to speed modulation at the pick-up.

Mike.