Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Home appliance cost in hours

On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 7:49:12 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 7:10:07 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 20:06:29 -0600, "Dean Hoffman"
wrote:

Well, I have 9 of the 11. I'd leave the TV off the list. That
really
isn't an appliance in my view. That would put the 1959 hours at 758 vs.
the 2016 hours at 140. The 1959 worker had to work 5.4 times as many
hours
as the 2016 worker for about the same stuff.
Others have mentioned how much more reliable the old stuff was. Not TVs.
Tubes went out, the vertical and horizontal holds were sometimes finicky,
and remote controls are better channel changers than kids.
No microwave on the list. I thought they weren't invented until the 1960s
but found out differently. An article here http://preview.alturl.com/zb2nq
talks about a man named Tracy Spencer. He dropped out of school at 12 but
became an expert on radar tubes.
He had a candy bar melt in his pocket at work so decided to investigate.

I dont consider a toaster, crock pot, elec frying pan, blender, elec can
opener, and so on appliances. They're just kitchen gadgets.

You may not consider them to be appliances, but most people do, including
kitchen designers. DAGS for "appliance garage" and look at the images of
what they are designed to store.

Take a look at what Target considers to be appliances:

http://www.target.com/c/home-appliances/-/N-5xtuu

Home Depot has a webpage for Small Appliances

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Appliance...s/N-5yc1vZbv48

You are not wrong by calling them "gadgets", but being a gadget
doesn't preclude them from also being appliances. This website
considers "kitchen appliances" to be a 'related phrase' in their
definition of gadget.

Appliance:
1.

A device or piece of equipment designed to perform a specific task, typically a domestic one.

It's very broad. I consider a TV, stereo, window AC, etc to be appliances.
Which is why there are shopping categories that narrow it down, like
"kitchen appliances".