Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Adrian Caspersz Adrian Caspersz is offline

Default Why are capstan wheels different size?

On 12/03/16 12:31, wrote:
"I did initially think closed loop but then capstans would be
revolving in opposite directions? It would be an extreme way to

apply tension to a tape. "

Do you understand mechanics at all ? It helps.

Those things are
turning in OPPOSITE directions and therefore that deck is NOT a true
dual capstan.

Sorry, you can see I goofed up my sentence. Should have written

"I did initially think closed loop but then capstans ARE
revolving in opposite directions? (So not)"

It has two but the other one is used to regulate tapes
speed in reverse. That is all.

It does not have the the qualitative edge over a single capstan deck
at all, that part of the mechanism simply facilitates the reverse
function. It is not dual capstan at all. To me, and anyone who knows
tape, dual capstan means they both work at the same time, and in that
the deck, THEY DO NOT. It is either one or the other, depending on if
it it is in the forward or reverse mode. At no time are both pinch
rollers engaged. Only one at a time.

When it's running look and see, and you will see.

Agreed.

--
Adrian C