Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home appliance cost in hours

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 17:57:43 -0600, wrote:

On Wed, 09 Mar 2016 07:32:22 -0600, "Dean Hoffman"
wrote:

This is from the Carpe Diem site written by Mark J.
Perry. Manufacturing workers can now buy 11 appliances
with 152 hours of labor what used to cost them 886 hours
of labor back in 1959.

Who has 11 appliances? I have 5. Stove, Refrig, Washer, Dryer,
Microwave. That's it. (Unless a TV, Stereo, Radio, Toaster, Electric
Frying pan, or Computer is considered an appliance... There are only 2
more appliances that I can think of, which I dont have. A Dishwasher and
a Freezer. What else is there..... To make 11 of them???

Well, I have 9 of the 11. I'd leave the TV off the list. That
really
isn't an appliance in my view. That would put the 1959 hours at 758 vs.
the 2016 hours at 140. The 1959 worker had to work 5.4 times as many
hours
as the 2016 worker for about the same stuff.
Others have mentioned how much more reliable the old stuff was. Not TVs.
Tubes went out, the vertical and horizontal holds were sometimes finicky,
and remote controls are better channel changers than kids.
No microwave on the list. I thought they weren't invented until the 1960s
but found out differently. An article here http://preview.alturl.com/zb2nq
talks about a man named Tracy Spencer. He dropped out of school at 12 but
became an expert on radar tubes.
He had a candy bar melt in his pocket at work so decided to investigate.