Posted to alt.home.repair
Colonel Edmund J. Burke[_16_] Colonel Edmund J. Burke[_16_] is offline

Default I broke the handle off a ball valve. How to attach it???

On 3/10/2016 5:16 PM, wrote:
I broke the handle off a ball valve. Darn hose got stuck on it, and
broke off the threaded part. It's not a bolt, but rather the brass shaft
had threads on it, and a nut above the handle. That threaded brass part
broke off.

Normally I'd just replace it, it's just a $10 valve, but it's in
galvanized steel pipe with no union nearby, so either I rip apart a lot
of pipes, or saw it and thread or replace pipes. A job I'd rather avoid
since the valve still works fine, the handle just wont stay on it.

The shaft has 2 flat spots, so the handle works fine. But I'd like to
find a way to keep the handle on it.

I thought about drilling into that brass, and threading the hole, but
there is not much material there, so I might end up drilling into the
inside ball, and ruining the whole thing. My only other thought is to
glue it on with JB Weld. But first I have to buy some, since I used up
what I had before. That will probably be the way I do it, but thought
I'd post this and see if anyone else has any suggestions.
Sometimes there are some good suggestions on here!

Keep that welding stuff away from my balls!