Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I broke the handle off a ball valve. How to attach it???

On 3/10/2016 8:16 PM, wrote:
I broke the handle off a ball valve. Darn hose got stuck on it, and
broke off the threaded part. It's not a bolt, but rather the brass shaft
had threads on it, and a nut above the handle. That threaded brass part
broke off.

Normally I'd just replace it, it's just a $10 valve, but it's in
galvanized steel pipe with no union nearby, so either I rip apart a lot
of pipes, or saw it and thread or replace pipes. A job I'd rather avoid
since the valve still works fine, the handle just wont stay on it.

The shaft has 2 flat spots, so the handle works fine. But I'd like to
find a way to keep the handle on it.

I thought about drilling into that brass, and threading the hole, but
there is not much material there, so I might end up drilling into the
inside ball, and ruining the whole thing. My only other thought is to
glue it on with JB Weld. But first I have to buy some, since I used up
what I had before. That will probably be the way I do it, but thought
I'd post this and see if anyone else has any suggestions.
Sometimes there are some good suggestions on here!

I'd slip the handle on. Hit the shaft end in several
places with a prick punch and hammer. Try to widen
the shaft so it grabs inside the handle.

--
..
Christopher A. Young