Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default If gluttony is a sin...

On 3/10/2016 5:20 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Max:
...then why are there so many fat Christians?

Easy:

- AFIK, one of the tenants of xianity is that
everybody is a sinner. The thing is to own up to
it, be forgiven, and try not to do it again.

And, when you *do* end up "doing it again", it's OK...
as long as you embrace the fact that you've sinned! :

- One does not have to be a glutton to become obese.
A hundred excess calories a day (i.e. one medium-sized
apple) comes out to 3,650 excess calories per year,
and that's a pound of fat.... 20 years, 30 years...
couple hundred calories instead of 100....

Check your math, Pete. : A surplus of *10* calories
translates to a pound per year. To give you an idea of how
little that is: one "LifeSaver" is 10 calories!

Said another way, "you couldn't deprive yourself of ONE LIFESAVER
to avoid putting on those 10 pounds every 10 years?"

- Perhaps the most important: the proportion of sugar
in one's diet. We did not evolve to consume large
quantities of sugar. Sugar used to be protected
by bees... Now it's everywhere and it tastes
*really* good.... read "Fat Chance" by Robert Lustig.

Somewhere along the line, I read a discussion of fat and
sugar in our diets -- in evolutionary terms. Both were
relatively hard to acquire (fat from very select vegetables and/or
meat; sugar from honey and fruit).

As a result, our bodies don't know how to handle them, well.

Put *both* of them into a "food" and body thinks it's XMAS! :

(sugar + fat = baked goods!)