Impmon

Default PS2 Repair? Inserting ribon/flex cable...

\ Hi,
I am attemtping a repair to a PS2. I dropped it from my son's
dresser and the cdrom tray became misstracked ( wouldn't close all the
way). I was able to get the thing apart, and fix the tracking issue,
but I am having a hello of a time inserting the ribbon cable that
connects to the laser portion of the cdrom. I thought I had it in
good enough, but when I plugged in in I received data errors. There
is only a two inch clearance between the cdrom, and the motherboard
that the flex/ribon cable connects to, is there a better method in how
to insert it into the connector? Thanks for any help.

Many ribbon cable are held in place by retaining clip. I haven't had my PS2
apart in a while so I can't remember if that one used the clip or not. What
you need to do is to find and unlatch the clip (usually the clip are of
different color, just pull it up or outward), slide in the ribbon cable as
far into the connector as possible, and then push the clip back down.

For an example, see he
http://personalpages.tds.net/~wilyka...s/DSC02543.jpg (it's for GBA
SP but the design is the same) From that picture, the brown tab are supposed
to slide forward (away from the connector) to unlock.

If the PS2 still doesn't work, the cable may have been damaged either from
the drop or from being taken apart. Ribbon cables are quite fragile.