Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Home appliance cost in hours

On 03/09/2016 08:32 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

This is from the Carpe Diem site written by Mark J.
Perry. Manufacturing workers can now buy 11 appliances
with 152 hours of labor what used to cost them 886 hours
of labor back in 1959.

http://alturl.com/a7gqu or

http://www.aei.org/publication/monday-evening-links-6/

How many times do they have to buy replacements for the 2016 appliances
because they don't last nearly as long as the 1959 ones?

Perce

Impossible to make a truly accurate comparison. Last toaster I bought
was a good quality model that cost $50+, but on the next shelf they had
one for $8. In 1959 you could not find one equal to the $8 toaster made
in China (as was the expensive one)

I do recall spending $169 for a B & W 19" TV 50 years ago when I was
making about half that a week. Two weeks wages now would buy be a few
65" TVs today.