Posted to alt.home.repair
bad brain bad brain is offline

Default OT - Heat output of oil lamp

replying to clare, bad brain wrote:
clare wrote:

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 22:16:03 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
A few votive candles will keep you from freezing to death. Even Tea
Lights, but they don't last as long.
Lamp oil is about 45Mj/kg. or roughly 43000 BTU per Kg
With a Specific Gravity of .82, 1Kg of Kero/lamp oil is .roughly a
quart - so figure 43000/32 = roughly 95 BTU/hour if your calculations
and mine are both close to real-world.
I believe a single wick candle is roughly 50 BTU, so I suspect your
consumption figure is a bit low, unless you are talking a pretty small
Kero lamp (1/4" wick, more or less?)
I just checked Vermont oil lamps, and they claim thair 1/2" wick lamps
consume roughly 1/2 ounce per hour - so a 1" wick should burn an ounce
an hour. Either my numbers for a candle are off or the heat value of
wax is a lot higher than kero - which is POSSIBLE, but liquid parrafin
puts out less LIGHT than kero in a wick lamp, so?????

I didn't write this. This forum is messed up. I don't have an Aladdin lamp.

This is supposed to be a response to what was said by bad brain.