Posted to alt.home.repair
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default Tracing bad sewer smell

On 3/9/2016 8:38 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at 9:13:18 AM UTC-5, Art Todesco wrote:
On 3/7/2016 9:13 AM, TimR wrote:
On Sunday, March 6, 2016 at 7:51:14 AM UTC-5, Art Todesco wrote:
This may be a little OT because it's not for home, but church. My
church has developed a really bad sewer like smell in one corner of the
building, actually by the main entrance. I thought it might be the new
drinking fountain and it was just installed

Did the smell start soon after the drinking fountain was installed?

Yes it did, however, I don't think it is coming from the water fountain.
I've stuck my nose right against the drain and also behind the unit
and there was nothing. I haven't been there since I first posted, but
will be there tomorrow. Thinking about this and all the replies, I
think there are 2 washrooms just under the lobby, and these washrooms
are not heavily used. I don't think many people even know they exist.
My wife was there yesterday and didn't smell anything, but it does seem
to come and go. I'll keep you posted.

I'd try tracing where vents for the drain system for those 2 bathrooms
go. Possible something is broken, not connected, etc. If it's hidden,
you could scope it from the roof.

Good thought. I'd completely forgotten an experience that I had.

Did a complete gut job of the kitchen (house built in 1974) down to the
stud walls. On a common wall shared by the kitchen plumbing and a bath,
I discovered that over the years something (sewer gas?) had corroded a
section of the 3" copper vent stack in that wall, necessitating replacement.

We never experienced sewer gas smell, but strange stuff can happen with
plumbing, so trader's suggestion has merit.