Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default heating / hot water - whole new system

On Tuesday, 8 March 2016 19:37:30 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:
On 08/03/2016 09:49, Michael Chare wrote:
On 08/03/2016 07:49, wrote:

i have therefore to decide what heating / hot system i should put back
in as there is nothing right now - not even a copper pipe!! there is
mains gas and electric.

it is of 1950's construction, so the walls are not very well insulated
- the roof is well insulated. i am thinking of a radiator system as i
am on a limited budget and underfloor heating will be too expensive.

on a limited budget you could check out the boilers on ebay. Should save you most of a grand.

water wise - there are three showers (1 on each floor and it is likely
that at least two will require water at the same time.

gas boiler & cylinder then. Again there are used cylinders around at times.

water - a simple combi boiler could not handle it. and i only want one
electric shower as an absolute emergency.

cheaper to add an immersion element

i should say that i don't expect to live in the property for more than
5 years at the most so i do not want to pay huge amounts for a

Another issue is whether you have a system boiler.

costlier to fix

I am not a fan of thermostatic radiator valves. I would regard a wired
in programmable thermostat as essential, preferably with remote control.

TRVs are only semi thermostatic, not truly thermostatic. But it beats no thermostat on each rad. A separate real thermostat per room is certainly better, but if you'll be moving out I'm not sure the expense is warranted.

Many programmable thermostats are single channel.

Bimetal stats are fine. Technology doesn't always produce a win.

b) Install a heated towel rail in the bathroom.

pointless gimmicks imho. OTOH a future buyer might like it.

d) If you have a hot water tank, get one with 50mm insulation on it.

or place it where you can stick more than 2" of loft insulation round it.

NT