Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default EdF finance director resigns over Hinkley Point C

On 09/03/16 13:33, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 12:54:08 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 09/03/16 11:46, The Other John wrote:
On Wed, 09 Mar 2016 00:02:19 +0000, Nick wrote:

I never liked having my trains cancelled due to lack of staff (i.e.
drivers) and I never saw a train drive perform any useful service apart
from drive, this is even when trains broke down.

Some years ago before I retired (11 years now) I was in a train which
stopped at a station and couldn't be started again. After a few minutes
the driver appeared, opened a panel in the bulkhead and thumped a row of
plug-in relays. He then returned to the cab and the train moved off. A
true engineer!

Some years ago trains were designed to have drivers that could do that
sort of thing.

Driverless trains are designed not to need it.

Tannoy announcement "This is the first driverless train to go into
general service. The traveling public have absolutely no cause to be
alarmed. It has multiple safety devices to protect you. Nothing can go
wrong...go wrong...go wrong...go wrong..

Tannoy announcement "This is the first unmannd3ed elevator to go into
general service. The travelling public have absolutely no cause to be
alarmed. It has multiple safety devices to protect you. Nothing can go
wrong...go wrong...go wrong...go wrong..

Josef Stalin