Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical wiring advice needed

On Tue, 08 Mar 2016 18:26:30 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 8 Mar 2016 12:04:31 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

wrote in :

The point is, it's romex in weathertight conduit in an exterior
application and it passed inspection in Canada,

One: Just because it passed inspection does not mean it meets code in that jurisdiction.
The inspector may not have seen it -- or may have been as ignorant of the code as you are.

Two: What you *think* is code-compliant in Canada isn't necessarily code-compliant, either
there or anywhere else.

Three: It's time you learned that.

Four: This is NOT compliant with the U.S. NEC, irrespective of your misguided opinions.

Five: Are you aware that you've been arguing with a master electrician (gfretwell, not me)
about what does and doesn't meet Code?

Answer to one - it passed - that's all that matters to me
Answer to two - I know code in Canada and elsewhere is different - and
I've qualified that several times. I said "in Canada"
Answer to three - I already know that - see one and two above.
Answer to four - I never said it was compliant to US NEC - I said it
passes here - and I'm sure it has been passed many times in many
places in the USA as well - not every jurisdiction sticks strictly to
the NEC

Answer to number four - all kinds of guys argue with me about
automotive stuff - and I've been a "master mechanic" for over half my
life - (and I'm not 30). I've been wrong a few times, and I'm sure he
has been too.

Not saying he's wrong now either.

By the way - in Canada NMD90 is approved for "damp" but not "wet"
locations - so that's likely why it is deemed to be OK here in a
conduit above ground (like for running wires up the wall to exterior
lights)