Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default EdF finance director resigns over Hinkley Point C

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
As a matter of interest, why should books be zero rated?

Because it was viewed as an education item and therefore essential
(in a wider sense).

So is a TV then.

Well yes. But I did say it's a bit arbitrary and someone had to draw a
line, and they drew a line at books.

IMO reading books is more likely to enrich than a TV as it helps reading
skills, spelling and vocabulary even if the reader only buys fiction. A
TV has a lesser guarantee of educational enrichment.

Make it a mobile phone, then. Kids who had no interest in reading etc,
soon realise they have to for SMS and so on.

I say it again. Whinging on about such things being 'essential' is
nonsense. Food is essential. Books ain't.

I'm not winging and mobile phones are rarely educational. Books usually
are in one way or another (Viz annual excepted unless Roger's
Profanisaurus counts!).

The idea was "education" was considered an essential item back in the day.