Clint Sharp

Default Would you change this cap ?

In message , Bill
writes
Hi folks- If an electrolytic measures slightly over it's rated value
with a trusted meter, would you consider this cap bad thus replace it
? For example, if a 100uf measures 107uf, does that mean the cap is
drying out and must be replaced ? Thanks

Bill

Unless the cap is something really special I wouldn't suspect it of
being faulty for being more than its marked value, the tolerance on
electrolytics is usually greater than 10% anyway. On the other hand, if
the cap has been removed and is a standard part, I'd replace it anyway
if I had one in the parts drawer, purely because the action of heating
up the leads twice (once out, once in) is not wonderful for the part,
it's a dirt cheap part at that.
--
Clint