Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default slow kitchen drain

On Monday, March 7, 2016 at 11:32:02 AM UTC-5, EXT wrote:

I find most liquid drain cleaners don't do anything as they are not strong
enough. The best one I have found is an acid based drain cleaner, it is made
by a few companies but may be hard to find, last time I got some from Lowes.

I think acids eat different things than alkalis, so it might depend on what the clog is.

Years ago I disposed of a small quantity of HCl left over from a floor tile job by diluting it in a five gallon bucket of water and pouring down the toilet. The most foul odor you can imagine rose from the vent stacks and you could smell it so strong outside I thought the neighbors would complain. I guess even diluted it reacted with whatever organic crud was lining the pipes. The drains did run much better though.