Posted to alt.home.repair
(PeteCresswell) (PeteCresswell) is offline

Default is there a noise canceling headphone, not music.

Per T:
Is there a such thing as a headphone (not music) that
will quiet down an extremely noisy room when worn?
Sort of like a high tech ear plug.

I am looking to quiet down white noise, motor noise,
television, folks talking. And yes all at the same
time.

I googled, but am only finding music head phones.

I would think that music head phones would do the job if they were worn
with no input.

People will say "Ear Plugs" or "Ear Muffs".... My experience is that
neither is comfortable enough for long-term repeated use. YMMV....

But there are some quite-comfortable over-the-ear earphones... and they
do not need to be noise canceling, just "Closed" (as opposed to "Open",
which let in external sounds).

I have a set of "Open" earphones that are so comfortable that sometimes
I find myself walking around the house with them on long after I have
finished using them - just because I have forgotten that I had them on.

All that being said, the first thing I would try are the el-cheapo
earmuffs from Harbor Freight for three bucks:
http://www.harborfreight.com/industr...ffs-43768.html

And if those do not work, I would move up a notch in price and
try these for eight bucks:
http://www.harborfreight.com/ear-muffs-94334.html

Only after rejecting those, would I start looking at over-the-ear closed
headphones.
--
Pete Cresswell