Posted to alt.home.repair
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default Lockset Question, Please

On 3/6/2016 1:52 PM, philo wrote:
On 03/06/2016 01:48 PM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Would be most appreciative for some help with this.

Lockset on door of my son's garage-to-house has broken, and he is trying
to find a replacement.
He is not mechanical, so enlarging the hole, etc., is not a viable
option for him to do.

I am not in his area, so I cannot do for him, but he did send me the
actual lockset.

snip

The hole size for any lock I've ever worked on is standard. The bore
hole is 2 1/8th inch so a replacement should not be hard to find.

And the backset is adjustable in any case so any Schlage should fit.
It's not a big deal to rekey the new lock to use the same key as the
rest of the locks in the house (assuming they are all Schlage - if not
then there's certainly no issue)

One other thought. I had a Schlage cipher pad deadbolt on my
garage/shop door (detached) which was also keyed to the house locks. We
found that so handy that we installed the same lock on the kitchen door
(most frequently used by us (99.9% of the time) for entry to the house).
You can set up multiple codes for different individuals, even one-time
codes for service personnel, etc. Lock itself costs around $100 and
install is only slightly more complicated than installing a new
deadbolt. The normal key in knob primary lock remains but is never
locked any longer. The cipher pad is the cat's a$$.